No Mud No Lotus: A Resilient Community of Practice Mentorship with Jessica Dolce
Course begins: Course Begins: July 2, 2018 with course pre-work.
Online meetings and discussion boards begin the week of 7/9/18.
Weekly meetings begin the second week of the course, Thursday, July 12th at 8:00pm EST and occur each Thursday after that.
Two optional extra “Peer Debriefing” calls will occur on Tuesday, 7/31 and Tuesday, 8/21 at 7:00pm EST
About the Mentorship
This mentorship is taught online with live video calls (community of practice sessions) where specific skills will be Note: Online meetings are for full students only. Auditors do not attend online meetings or have access to the recordings.
IAABC: 17 CEUs
CCPDT: 11 CEUs
KPA: 17 CEUs
Have you been meaning to get some “self-care” into your week, but never get around to it or you just don’t know what to do? Would you like to finally figure out how to do the work you love without being sidelined by compassion fatigue and burnout? Then this unique community of practice is for you!
This course is for you if you want to:
- Feel calmer in stressful situations: You’ll understand how mindfulness, expressive writing, self-compassion, and other practices can increase your resilience and how to use them in everyday settings.
- Get comfortable using simple meditation and relaxation practices that will help you feel restored and at ease.
- Learn how to create new goals and habits that will help reduce overwhelm and get you moving in the right direction.
- Meet new friends! You’ll learn alongside other professionals and engage in supportive, compassionate conversations about how the work impacts you.
- Finally know what kind of self-care really works for you and how to set healthy boundaries so you can do it, without the guilt.
- Gain clarity about why you do this work, what kind of life you want to live, and create a personal mission statement to guide you through the difficult times.
Students will meet for weekly interactive video calls to practice a variety of mindfulness, expressive writing, and self-compassion exercises that have been shown to increase resilience in helping professionals.
You’ll spend an hour every week feeling relaxed, knowing that you’re taking good care of yourself on every call, while building new connections with people who understand the unique challenges of your work with animals.
The class will run for 8 weeks
Dates: July 2nd – August 31st
Weekly calls will be held on Thursdays at 8pm EST on Zoom. There is no call on 7/5/18 or 8/2/18.
Additionally, there will be two 90 minute peer debriefing calls held on Tuesday 7/31 and Tuesday 8/21 from 7-8:30pm EST. During these calls, each participant will share one story about a client or case with our fellow students (instructions will be provided prior to the calls).
In order to ensure that everyone has ample time to share, students will be asked to sign up in advance for only ONE of the two calls. These calls are optional. If you do not wish to participate and share a story on either call, that’s ok!
This course contains:
- A short weekly reading assignment about mindfulness, writing, self-care, etc.
- Optional additional readings on these topics will be provided as well.
- A weekly video call.
- There will be 7 calls total. In order to receive CEUs, students must attend at least 5 of these calls live using both the required video and audio. These calls will recorded (please note: auditors cannot attend the live calls or watch the recordings). Weekly calls will be held on Thursdays at 8pm EST on Zoom: 7/12, 7/19, 7/26, 8/9, 8/16, 8/23, 8/30.
- Integration ideas, such as simple meditation recordings, writing prompts, and other self-reflective activities provided to help participants deepen their learning.
- Discussion Boards focused on exploring the weekly topics.
- In order to receive CEUS, students must post at least 5 comments in 5 different discussions. Comments should be substantive and a minimum of 250 words. Commenting more than that is welcome (but not required for credit)!
- Two optional additional video calls dedicated to practicing the peer debriefing model in which participants can debrief an emotionally challenging case.
Full Students: $449 for IAABC members; $499 non-members
Auditors: (No CEUs and certificate and no requirements) - $150 for both members and non-members
IAABC Members – log into your member account for the discount codes to use
Technical Support: If you have any issues with signing up on the learning system website, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and please provide a detailed description of the error that you are experiencing, as well as what browser you are using, the version (if known) and if you are using a PC or Mac computer.
About the Presenter
Jessica Dolce is a Certified Compassion Fatigue Educator via the Green Cross of Traumatology, receiving her training through The Figley Institute and Tend Academy. She helps animal care and welfare professionals to navigate compassion fatigue and cultivate resilience, so that they can make a positive impact for animals and create a life that they truly enjoy.
Jessica brings more than fifteen years of experience working with and for companion animals to her online classes, workshops, and coaching. She is an adjunct faculty member at The Maddie’s® Shelter Medicine Program at the University of Florida. Her project, Dogs In Need Of Space, provides practical, emotional support to dog owners and animal care professionals around the world.
Jessica earned her Master of Science in Adult and Higher Education degree from the University of Southern Maine and holds certificates in mindfulness facilitation and positive psychology coaching. She can be found hanging out in libraries under piles of books, walking naughty dogs in the dark, and online at jessicadolce.com.